SC - Re:Feast planning

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jan 26 10:51:51 PST 1998

Eoin writes:

> I have been making feasts for SCA events since 1979.  Over 30 feasts ago, I
> had these same exact problems to deal with, namely, "For how many do I cook?"
>
> There isn't any easy answer.  I have used rules of thumb, and statistical
> analysis.  Neither one worked any better than the other.  Since the
> calculus of statistics is a pain in the tuchus, the thumb now rules.

I agree. I don't think human nature and weather conditions figure too well into
mathematical calculations.  :-{)}

The best you can do is look at past performance, what the weather report looks
like, how much has the event been talked up, and if there is anything special
going on this year.

> What has worked for me in the past few years has been to set a limit on the
> number served.  Period.  Keep the feast small in comparison to the expected
> attendance.  If we expect 120 people, the feast is set for 40.  The "break
> even" financial point is __30__.  In other words, I plan to feed 40 people,
> and divide the costs by 30.  This way, if 40 show, we make a little cash
> for the next event.  If 30 show, we break even.  If only 20 eat feast, we
> lose some, but we don't lose our shirts.

This is a nice practical solution and if it works for your group and everyone
accepts it, great!  Unfortunately I'm stubborn in my belief that the event is
for everyone who attends. Although it sometimes bites me in the butt, I try to
include everyone who shows up in the feast.

I know it may just be me but I feel that a group hosting an event should be doing
just that, hosting. Saying "Only this many people can eat." just isn't in my
nature. Remember, "Food is Love."  :-{)}

> In other words, you take your chances in the Midrealm.  Hardly anyone
> bothers to preregister, and you can never be sure if there won't be a
> sudden change in Kingdom law that moves a major event onto your
> long-planned date, so it's all a crap shoot.

Same as in Ansteorra. I agree with you.

> Why I keep doing feasts is quite beyond me.  I must be nuts.  Can you say
> "stress"?  Sure, I knew you could.

Yes, there's stress. But there's also the joy of bringing happiness to the
people. Helping to make the event enjoyable. Being told that someone enjoyed
the food. All of these things make doing what we do worthwhile. Also, just as
I rarely yield in fighting, I enjoy the challenge of pulling it off.

> Being steward of a feast in the Midrealm at least is not for the
> faint-of-heart.  All you can do is make a guess, plan for the worst, and be
> prepared to lose a couple of hundred bucks.  Leftovers, anyone?  Barley
> pilaf freezes surprisingly well......

Ya knew it was a dangerous job when ya took it.

> Eoin Campbell

Yers,

Gunthar