SC - Chickens-again

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Jan 26 20:44:53 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Cariadoc says:

> On the more general issue, while getting period varieties often requires
> you to produce them yourself (not always--summer rambo is still grown
> commercially, or was a few years back), getting information about them
> doesn't. If one person raises chickens of a variety known to have been
> common in period he can weigh the eggs and tell the rest of us, thus
> reducing at least one small source of uncertainty in the recipes.

The factors determining the size of an egg INCLUDE the breed of chicken,
but are not limited to that. In fact, in my experience, the size of the
chicken, the age ofthe chicken, the diet of the chicken, time of the year,
etc etc etc. Also, there have been centuries of breeding twixt then and
now...the bantam chicken now may or may not be the same size as the bantam
back then.

- --AM