SC - Re:Feast planning

Chris Peters cpeters at cinemagnetics.com
Thu Jan 29 07:21:58 PST 1998

Gedney, Jeff wrote:<Snippage for Brevity>

> My opinion then is to operate the guilds as independant entities from
> the group.

That is workable but also hazardous. There are retentives within the group (as
with any group) that will cry "foul!"

> There is no bar to the Guild taking the name of the group, as long as
> iit is not funded by, or operated by officers of, the local group.

By starting a guild though do you not become an officer? Especially if it is
sanctioned by the group at large? (Honestly asking I am hazy in this area)

> As long as all donations of money and materials comes from OUTSIDE the
> offices of the local group, the BOD ruling does not apply to guilds.
> The SCA corpora does not list a guilds among the official structures of
> the SCA,

Oh Ok .  Sorry about dumb question above.

> and groups them with (I believe) Households. Since households
> operate outside the parameters of the SCA, SCA rules do not apply,
> except where they are covered as individual citizens attending SCA
> events and activities.

I can see this as being extended to try to make them use their ban then." Once
they are here they are OURS" type of mentality

>  If an individual person can brew beer and bring
> it to feasts for individual consumption, then so can members of a
> brewers guild, as long as the alcoholic beverages, or the materials for
> making them, are not provided by any OFFICIAL entity of the SCA.

I say try it. Worse comes to worse the retentives will try to modify the ruling
and we can then modify it ourselves again.Like Isaid it is open to
interpretation and can be misleading in many ways (the ruling that is)