SC - Gung Hay Fat Choy

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Jan 29 17:38:28 PST 1998

> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 01:19:31 -0500
> From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
> Subject: SC - Gung Hay Fat Choy

> The idea of the New Year Celebration is to set the tone for the rest of
> the year. In other words, you do, if only symbolically, what you want
> to be doing the rest of the year.

<<<blanch>>>  I'm gonna spend the rest of the YEAR being in bed with the stomach flu???!?!?!?!!!!          <g>

But seriously, folks...

> Then there's five-spice beef, which is a sort of pot roast cooked
> along the same lines as the soy-sauce chicken. In fact, I usually
> cook them both in the same cooking liquid (beef, usually a whole
> boned shank, complete with the Achilles tendon, which gets soft in
> the long cooking, and then cook the chicken, pretty quickly at a more > or less full boil) skimming, straining, and freezing  the liquid for use > next time. I have some that's about four years old now. It does > improve with repeated use, up to a point, but the more meat gelatin > that gets dissolved into it, and the thicker it gets as it is repeatedly > reduced, the more likely it is to burn, so I advise a discreet toss if it > starts to taste, well, not good.

This sounds suspiciously (magnificently sounds better!!) like a recipe my mom used to have for Loo Sauce.  (Used, of course, by my uncle the writer to make his Lewd (Looed) Chicken...)

AFAIK, the sauce is something like:

Dark soy
Light soy
Sherry
Anise
Ginger
Garlic
and a few others (I'll assume five-spice, from the name of your dish and the existence of the anise)  and it can sit in your fridge for a while as long as you use it frequently and strain it religiously... Mom used to keep it in the back of the fridge in a glass half-gallon jar with a hinged lid and a ring seal...

Are we barking up the same tree here??? If so; recipe, PLEASE!!!  I miss this stuff so bad I can taste it....

	- kat (you really didn't think I'd sit here all bloody day and just catch up on these digests, did you?  Neither did I...  <sigh>)