SC - rose sekanjabin/was coffee and tea

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Jan 31 00:51:52 PST 1998

At 10:09 AM -0800 1/30/98, Crystal A. Isaac wrote:

>I think refering to something as "the sekanjabin of dishes" might have
>ment that is was tasty and well liked by everyone. In spite of the
>expensive sugar, references to the drink are frequent (although not as
>frequent as wine <smile>) enough to make me belive it was a very common
>drink among the upper-class people we are trying to emulate.

Why do you assume sugar is expensive in al-Islam? Of course it is expensive
in Frangistan, since they have to import it from the civilized world, but
we grow the stuff.

The 13th c. Islamic cookbooks have lots of sugar based candies.

><quote>Syrup of Carrots
>Take four ratls of carrots, after removing the fibers [lit. "nerves"]
>that are in the centers, and cook them in water until their substance
>comes out. Then take the clear part of it and add it to three ratls of
>honey, cleaned of its foam. The bag: ...[about three words missing]...
>an uqiya of cubebs, two uqiyas each of ginger and long pepper, and half
>an uqiya of cinnamon and flower of cloves. Cook until it takes the form
>of a syrup. Drink an uqiya of this with three of hot water....<end
>quote>

What I like about that one is that you apparently throw away the carrots
when you're finished.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/