SC - 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall/pennsic plans

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Jul 1 15:16:49 PDT 1998

At 8:03 AM -0700 6/23/98, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:
>Hi all from Anne-Marie
>ok, heres the deal. We're doing 15th century re-creation. Not the SCA way
>of picking bits of this and that from all over, but trying really really
>hard to stick to 1470 Franco Flemish/Bruges...

and asked about primary soiurces for cooking of that period.

There is a picture in _Medieval Drawings_, M. W. Evans, Hamlyn Publishing
Group Ltd., 1969, of an illustration of Uzziah entertaining Acchior and the
elders to a banquet (from the Book of Judith), from Germany 1400-05.  There
are six people in snazzy "modern" (ie, time of the illustrator) clothes
sitting at a table outdoors on benches, with a tablecloth and fancy cups
and serving dishes.  In the foreground, a man or boy in servant's clothing
is holding one end of a long spit, straight except that his end has a maybe
6" section turned right-angle to the rest of it.  The far end of the spit
is resting on a thick forked stick stuck in the ground; near that end under
the spit is a fire (flames quite visible) with two chickens or something
similar spitted over the fire.  A gentleman (to judge by his clothes) is
poking the fire with a long stick.  The servant is sitting on the ground
with the spit at almost the level of his shoulder, watching the chickens
and presumably turning the spit; a serving dish sits on the ground next to
him, presumably waiting for the chickens.  It is a neat picture, and has
always suggested to me what Pennsic ought to look like if we could do it
perfectly.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook