Ginger (was: SC - Will's- Recipe 1)

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Jul 1 19:23:00 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/1/98 4:31:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< This is something I have wondered about a long time.  ...<snip>....But
where would a
 15th-century Englishman get fresh ginger root? >>

Possibly as a potted plant? That's were mine came from. :-) In "The Medieval
Kitchen" the author suggests letting fresh ginger lay around at room
temperature for a few days to dry out a little but does not give a period
source for this practise. I agree that candied ginger is probably the best bet
although I also have no infornmation indicating the use of candied ginger in
15th century England. <sigh>

There is also a possibility that the ginger was minced and dried before being
imported and was available from the spice merchant in this form.

 <<Elizabeth/Betty Cook >>

Ras (Who always finds the hard questions undocumentable. ;-()