SC - Competitions?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 5 01:45:02 PDT 1998

Margritte said:
>Below are two recipes I used as a basis for a sugar-paste confection
>entered in a recent A&S competition. One of the judges made the comment
>that "... powdered sugar is not period." My question is, if a late period
>recipe calls for "refined sugar" ground in a mortar, why isn't powdered
>sugar period? What should I have used instead? This same judge made a
>comment on another entry of mine, saying "Brown sugar is not period- the
>raw sugar would be great." I'd like opinions from the list.

As to powdered sugar not being period, this one looks easy to test. Take
your chosen sugar, put it in a mortar and pestle and grind it. Can you
approach powdered sugar in texture? Do the same with various other modern
sugars or those you think are good approximations of period sugars because
of other study.

There have been a number of comments on period sugar and modern equivalents
on this list and other places. If you haven’t looked at these two files
in the FOOD section of my Florilegium, I think they might be a good starting
point:

sugar-msg         (46K) 11/21/97    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
sugar-paste-msg   (42K)  2/13/98    Making sugar paste sotelties.

My files are at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Margritte, thanks for the two recipes. They will be going in my
sugar-paste-msg file.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net