SC - alcohol content in beer

Heather Law lynnx at mc.net
Mon Jul 6 09:27:35 PDT 1998

Check the ingredient list.  If it is just yeast, then you probably have a
brand name difference for dry active yeast.  If it has some kind of bromate
or bromic acid in addition to the yeast, this is a boosting agent more
commonly added to "self-rising" or "better bread" flours than to yeast.  If
it has sodium bicarbonate (and possibly cream of tarter), then it is using
baking powder to improve the aeration of the yeast.

I believe what you have is just a brand name difference.  Dry active yeast
produces about the fastest rise possible.  Compressed yeast is almost as
fast.  Barms, leavens, and starters are fairly slow.

Bear