SC - More Sourdough Woes

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Wed Jul 8 08:13:05 PDT 1998

English gooseberries have prickles (on the berries, they also have
prickles on the stalks but they are tougher), but they are like hairs,
won't damage you in handling and disappear in cooking - they don't need
removing.  They do have a stalk at one end and a hairy bit at the other
which need removing (unless you are going to sieve the cooked
gooseberries) - usually called 'top and tailing' in England.

Lovely fruit, one of my favourites.  Eaten green in June and July they
have a tart flavour which goes very well with elderflowers, makes a
wonderful fool, or tart or crumble.  Berries left on the bush to August
turn golden or red and become very sweet.

I've never been very fond of gooseberry jam, as too much sugar kills the
flavour (but then I tend to believe that of a lot of fruit), so that
might be why Bogdan's grandfather didn't like it!

Caroline