SC - tea blocks

Heather Law lynnx at mc.net
Wed Jul 8 13:53:44 PDT 1998

> UlfR writes:
>
> >>How long did you let the dough rise the first time? I generally let it
> do a
> first rise ON (overnight, lab shorthand), and then a second one in the
> morning. I've actually gotten a "sour" loaf this way with plain yeast,
> allowed
> to do a first rise ON or even for a full 24 hours.<<
>
> I let it rise about 2 hours the fisrt time and about 45 minutes the second
> time.

I'm using at least 8 hours for the first rise and until doubled for the
second.  I'm also using sourdough without a yeast booster.

> On the question of ON rising -- will it stop rising at a certain point if
> left
> unattended? I usually let my bread rise in the oven with only the pilot
> light
> going -- will this work for ON, or should I leave the bread rising on the
> counter?
>
> I'm a little paranoid about leaving things unattened -- comes from having
> chemist for a father and also from having candy take over the stovetop --
> more
> than once.
>
> Renata

Dough rises until it reaches a point where it becomes so loose ("slack")
that it caves in on itself ("slumps"), so dough won't rise indefinitely.  A
thirteen quart bowl will handle about eight to ten pounds of dough without
it spilling over, so a four to six quart bowl should be able to handle about
three pounds of dough.  I had around four pounds in an eight quart bowl last
night and it never got close to the top.

If the dough does go slack, you can knead it again, adding more flour, so
the yeast has something on which to feed.

According to the French bakers, sourdough rises best at room temperature
(most French breads rise in a cooler these days to slow the rise, sourdough
does not) and is the slowest rising of any breads.  So, let it rise on the
counter.

Bear