SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #813

Ian van Tets IVANTETS at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Thu Jul 9 15:05:47 PDT 1998

Hello the list (again!)

I have several things to say/sak:

1.  Can anyone help me with a recipe for Chawettys?  I have half of
it...

2.  What makes pea flour bitter and can I do anything about it
(before I bake that bread)?

The rest of the things I asked my lord husband to mail about a
week ago and I think he forgot.  If he didn't, and they came through,
then just fast forward.

3.  The thread on drying out sourdough reminded me of Roman pottery
bowls I've seen in museums, identified with cheesemaking.  They were
unglazed, wiht a pouring lip, and pimply insides - maybe small
pebbles pressed in before firing?  Apparently the idea was that you
rinse the bowl out after pouring off the coagulated milk, but don't
scald.  That way the microbes hang around for re-use.

4.  Does anyone have decent recipes for ontbijtkoek, Amsterdammer
(speculaas cakes) or speculaas (biscuit form)?  I don't mind if
they're not period, but it's obviously going to be marvellous if they
are.  Basically any cardamom/almond meal baked item would be of
interest.

5.  There was a short discussion on the difference between cooking
over fires and the pointers we need to remember.  One I learnt from
cooking under an open chimney is to keep lids on pots.  Soot doesn't
taste nice.  If boiling liquid off, then leave the lid propped up on
a spoon, and allow more time than usual.

Cairistiona.

PS.  Back shortly with more Palladius!!