SC - No More Sourdough Woes

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 18:23:27 PDT 1998

Beatrix posted:
>"I heard that a bishop wanted a fishpond to be on one of his manors in
> England. Many peasants were summoned for the job and the bishop ordered
> them to be given daily food wheaten bread so that they should work with
> more strength and greater will. Within three or four days the work began
> to slacken. The bishop noticed and asked one why he was getting slower
> than at the start. He replied that he had no bread and so could not work.
> The bishop said he had told his steward to give them wheaten bread daily.
> The peasant replied 'That is not bread for the likes of us. I don't call
> it bread. Let us have bean bread and then we shall be able to work'. And
> so it was, once the wheaten bread was taken away from them.""

This makes very good sense to me!

When you eat peas/beans and grains together, you get a "protein
complimentarity" effect - much more protein is available to your body than
eating them separately. When I was a studying biology and chemistry, I ate
vegetarian simply because I was trying to live on a scholarship. Naturally,
I wanted to know how it all worked...

Protein is made up of 21 amino acids. 14 are really common, so if you have
any food to eat at all, you'll get these. Your body can manufacture 4 from
other amino acids, so you have 3 (tryptophan, thymine and niacine if I
remember correctly) that you must get in order to build your completed
proteins - these are the limiting factors. 2 of these exist in legumes, the
other 1 in grains (they are also present in eggs, seeds, etc). So if you eat
these foods together in the right proportions, you can get enought protien
without eating meat (or even dairy products, if you are really careful).

In other words, although the bean/pea breads were looked down on and only
eaten by the poor, they made up a good chunk of the protien in the lower
class diet and were much better food for them than pure wheat bread would
have been!

Rowan
Robyn Probert
Customer Service Manager		Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager		Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Lawpoint Pty Limited			Sydney NSW  Australia