SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #814

Robert C. Lightfoot celtcat at almatel.net
Thu Jul 9 22:43:27 PDT 1998

Hello all:

We are having a mini-bardic as an A&S night at the end of the month.  Usually
our meetings end up  divided between those who attend the A&S and those who go
directly to the resteraunt for dinner and socializing.  Since losing half the
canton would make a bardic no fun, we decided to make it a pot luck.  Since
fully a third of our group is teens, operating with little in the way of
cooking experience and very small budget, I'm giving a class in very simple
foods that can be brought to a period pot luck. Next week. It was a spur of
the moment idea at the meeting this week. I'm in need of really uncomplicated,
inexpensive recipes.

We are not in the habit of having period pot-lucks here in Windmasters' Hill,
so I need to speak also to the complacent who have been bringing KFC and
potato salad for years.

The handout that Anne Marie shared with me some months ago is the basis for
the class.  The bit on what can be purchased from the deli and considered
medieval-esque should be popular. But I am not sure of the recipes.  My 13 yr
old and her buddy reviewed the handout for me. Cecily cooks some, and decided
that she could manage with a willing adult around. Wil doesn't cook and
decided that if he was a teen with an unenthusiastic parent*, the recipes on
here would be a problem.  He had problems with words like sautee and some
instructions were a little sparse for him.

(BTW, Anne Marie  re: "noodle like things"  I don't have anything on here but
the Kitab al-Tibakhah and Platina recipes.  Did I accidently snip something
when struggling to reformat this, or was there no redaction there in the first
place?)

I also have a short collection of recipes from a website relating to the SCA
Teen list.  (if you are curious, http://www.dubiouspub.com/scateen/   is all
the name my daughter can recall at the moment) They appear to be from the
Knowne Worlde handbook and possibly from the Florigelum, some might be local
favorites from whereever the teen who donated it live.  "Aethylynde's Ginger
Bread" is described as SCA play-dough!  Wil felt less challenged with these,
but was still thinking he'd sooner get cheese and bread from the local fancy
grocery.

If anyone has sure-fire recipe even a stick jock wannabe can cook, I'd love to
hear it. If anyone had taught teens other than their own, please pass on tips
on that subject as well!

Many thanks,

Bonne