SC - Jerked Meat

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Sat Jul 11 22:32:35 PDT 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/11/98 1:15:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time, parlei at algonet.se
> writes:
>
> <<  I was, however, far to canny to take him on,  >>
>
> Although I can understand the "horror" stories of the Herman phenominon, the
> reality of the situation is that all one has to do is make a loaf of regular
> sour dough bread 2 times a week to keep the starter viable. Given the amount
> of bread that a household consumes in a week this doesn't seem so horrifying
> to me.

Of course the trouble was that Herman cam with a small set of recipes for
sweets and most of the Herman caretakers had no idea you could use him for
anything else.  So everyone was making one of those same 5 recipes every week.

Me?  I tossed a bit of Herman into everthing: pancake mix, waffle mix, biscuit
dough, scone dough, cookie dough, dumping dough or as you suggested, I made
plain sour dough bread (rolls, pizza crust. . . )

Bonne