SC - Herman

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jul 13 07:33:54 PDT 1998

jeffrey stewart heilveil wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has tried the follwing recipe...
> It comes from _The Medieval Kitchen Recipes from France and Italy_ by
> Redon, Sabban, and Serventi.  It is Recipe # 64.  Marinated Trout in
> Carpione. (Pg. 122)
>
> The translation of the original says:
<recipe snipped>

> While this sounds all well and good, I am left with a couple of questions:
> 2) then these fish can be kept DRY for a month? or should they be returned
> to the brine?

I suppose this is intended as a companion piece to a recipe for
carpione. Having that would probably help clarify things...I could see
either the frying oil being used to exclude air, or the semi-saturated,
acidic brine being used to actually preserve the fish. It's not clear
which, but this is where the carpione recipe would come in handy.

My gut reaction is to suspect the fish are put back into the brine,
which would bring to mind the idea of refrying them before serving.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com