SC - Yup - I got the same garbage -

Brian Songy bxs3829 at usl.edu
Tue Jul 14 06:59:54 PDT 1998

Actually the contestants run with a frying pan in hand which contains a
pancake which they must toss (twice I think) as they run. The story behind
this (if memory serves me right) is that a housewife in Omley, England back
in the 13th century was late for church on Shrove Tuesday and ran down the
street tossing a pancake, and the race was on. I can't remember exactly when
Liberal Kansas got into the act but it may have been back in the forties.
Margarite