SC - Pancake Races

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Jul 14 07:09:06 PDT 1998

Due to a combination of kidney and heart problems our family needs low sodium recipes.  Jerked chicken and beef sound real tempting, but....  Are there any ways of making these dishes using other things besides salt (salt substitute is also out of the question too much potassium)

Many period recipes use entirely too much salt anything would be helpful.  Our concerns are reduced sodium, potassium, protein, and phosphorus (knocks out large segments of a 'normal' diet)  We can eat around 100-150 grams of protein a day.  We have mostly veggies, rice, and pasta, with meat as a flavouring (an occasional hamburger for celebration)  With these things to think about I have a
hard time keeping it interesting for dinner, period spices keep the usual from being usual.

Our nephrologist and dietician help somewhat, but periodness is not one their things.  Here's to good creatinin and BUN results  :)

Ex animo, Henri