OT-Foolery [was Re: SC - Jerked Meat]

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 15 09:14:58 PDT 1998

LdyElisbth at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/15/98 4:01:19 PM !!!First Boot!!!, selene at earthlink.net
> writes:
>
> << One of my star moments at RenFaire was
>  getting chewed out for minute details of my costume by some mucky-muck
>  who thought I worked there -- right in front of the Churros and Beef
>  Teriyaki sellers.  How ironic is that?
>   >>

> Greetings!
>
>      Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Ren Faires like supposed to be kinda
> non-period?  By that I mean I've talked to a lot of rennies and been to a few
> web-sites where they entirely bash Scadians becuase they are so "anal" about
> their documentation...
>
>      Just seemed kinda weird to me...
>
>      At one of the Ren Faires up here, they serve Clam Chowder in bread
> boules.  Really yummy stuff, but I hardly thought it was period...  They also
> serve caramel covered apples.  *grin*

One of our friends is from Northern IL and works at the Ren Faire in Bristol, WI
and is SCA.  She cooked a "period style meal" over open flame, roasting a chicken
on a spit and making meat filled pasties and cooking them in the coals-half the
faire people were adventurous and the other half weren't-but at least two food
vendors changed some of their lineup.  (BTW: The best tailor at the ren faire is
sca-Felix, and alot of the performers purchased from him.  Something to be said
for the sca folk.)

Elisabreath