Sweet jerky recipe (was Re: SC - Low sodium requirements)

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Jul 15 11:14:33 PDT 1998

When I sez:
> << One of my star moments at RenFaire was
>  getting chewed out for minute details of my costume by some mucky-muck
>  who thought I worked there -- right in front of the Churros and Beef
>  Teriyaki sellers.  How ironic is that? >>

Then Lady Elisabeth sez:

>      Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Ren Faires like supposed to be kinda
> non-period?  By that I mean I've talked to a lot of rennies and been to a few
> web-sites where they entirely bash Scadians becuase they are so "anal" about
> their documentation...

This Faire was picky about costumes and performances, but not about
anything else.  That's what was so annoying.  This bombastic bimbo was
hassling me on grounds of costume authenticity, right in front of
blatantly non-authentic foodstuffs.  Little details, like 'you can't
wear that hat if you are not a widow' and 'you have to remove that
trim.'  Besides, I was a paying customer, she shouldn't have been
hassling me at all.  Maybe the costume, one of my earlier efforts by the
way, was so good that I could have worked for the Faire... not that I'd
want to now.

I mean, I love Beef Teriyaki and many of the folks who cook it, but we
can pretty well document that as mid-19th Century, can't we?  [Help me
out here.]  One of my secret agendas is to dish up a pre-1600 meal for
Japanese Tourney without anachronism.  Still working on that one.  You'd
be surprised what was invented only recently.

Lady Selene Colfox, of the many job descriptions