SC - Period survival-genetics-OT-OOP

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jul 16 14:12:59 PDT 1998

Hey, we still hang game!
we just call it "aging"!  ;-)

Really, I remember my dad coming home every fall with a deer carcass,
and hanging it from a tree in the back yard for a week or more ( "to be
sure all the blood is out" ) there is a difference, I suspect between
hanging dressed whole beasts with the skin on, and
putting chunks of meat on the table for a week.  Mass accounts for some,
and a variety of facia or other barriers may account for the rest. While
the outside may spoil, if properly hung, and protected from flies, the
inside does not go bad so quick. Is sure doesn't last forever, though!!

> Good Cousins:
>     Having read everyone's opinion on this subject, I have another
> point
	<snip>
> The practice of "hanging" game in the MA and later and the lack of
> what we would call sanitation indicates to me that the meat they ate
> probably would not be acceptable to *us* but it was fine for them. The
> spicing issue I think was more personal taste and ostentatiousness
> than
> "cover-up".

perhaps there is some truth to this, but I think that carrion was not a
favored dish.
Many accounts of feasts tell of the massive amounts of hunting and
fishing in the days just before the feast. if they were not so concerned
with spoilage, then they could certainly have relaxed some, and taken a
week or so to gather the meat.

brandu