SC - Spicing of Meats

Kallyr@aol.com Kallyr at aol.com
Thu Jul 16 17:40:05 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/16/98 4:30:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ceridwen at commnections.com writes:

<< The practice of "hanging" game in the MA and later and the lack of
 what we would call sanitation indicates to me that the meat they ate
 probably would not be acceptable to *us* but it was fine for them >>

Mistress,

I am sorry but I vehemently disagree with you on this point. First, game
wasn't held for 10 days ungutted. Large mannerhouses and royal holdings had
game preserves. Gutting was accomplished in the field and parts such as
testicles, livers, and brains would have most likely been consumed immediately
by the hunting party.

Second, I am having a little difficulty understanding how the dietery
practices of savages living in a sweltering jungle would have the least amount
of bearing on our understanding of  the dietery practices of a civilized
people living in a temperate climate. It smacks not a little of comparing eggs
with oranges, IMO. :-)

Finally, supporting literature from the Middle Ages does not support your
position. Le Manegier, Platina, Apicius and a myriad of other sources indicate
just the opposite.

So far as "hanging meat goes. IIRC, instances sited from period sources which
describe this procedure almost exclusively use it for game animals. Cookery
manuals as recent as Escoffier cite the same recommendations regarding game. I
don't have any idea how your family treats game but mine tends to let their
venison hang for several days before processing it.

As noted by another poster to the list, a person's experiences from real life
may not be an indication of what they did or did not do in period but
certainly the lack of modern conveniences forces one into practices which are
most likely closer to period than not. A careful study of culinary history
bears out the fact that preservation methods, especially for meat products,
changed very little over the centuries until this century.

Also a careful study of extant "Books of Hours" and other almanac sources
clearly indicate a seasonal progression of food consumption. Practicing this
type of life style , in conjuction, with preservation of harvest, would not
leave room for much spoiled or foul tasting anything. With the sweltering
weather currently gria large portuion of the country, I can see where thoughts
of rot would be pre-emminent regarding meat products but the reality of the
situation is that pigs and cows would have been little consumed at this time
of year. Chickens, ducks, pigeons, small birds, greens, carp from the fish
pond, yes.

Given that the average household (or at least the social class of household
that the SCA is concerned with) would have benn around 20 people including the
"help", I find it hard to believe that any significant spoilage would have
occured.

Several period recipes begin with "Take your <insert animal name here> and
slay it" which is about as fresh as you can get. :-)

A'aql (spelled Ras)