SC - Kvas recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 16 22:22:19 PDT 1998

niccolo commented:
>not to mention candles!  Tallow...candles.....seem awfully
>together......lamp oils as well.  They all make for useful items for the mas
>or inhome shrine/prayer rooms.

>From what I've read, I would not use tallow candles indoors. Even the best
seem to smoke considerably more than beeswax or parafin candles. If you
decide to make your own (a project on my future projects list), I'm told
sheep tallow is the least smoky while pig smokes the worst. For some more
information and direction on how to render the tallow check these files
in the HOME, SWEET HOME section of my Florilegium:

candles-msg       (68K)  1/24/97    Candle snuffers, making candles, wax, tallow

Soap would have been another use for otherwise unwanted fats.
See this one in the UNCLASSIFIED section:
soap-msg          (65K)  5/10/98    Period soap and soapmaking.

Or these two in the CRAFTS section:
Lye-Soap-art      (23K)  8/ 8/97    The history of and how to make soap
                                       by Baroness Leonora Kathryn de Provence.
Soapmakng-CMA-art (24K) 10/ 6/97    "Soapmaking in the Current Middle Ages" by
                                       Gillian Fhlaitheamhail (Fraya Davis).

I think these last two may have info on rendering down tallow, but they may
just use commercial lye.

My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net