SC - Spice cabinet-what do we stock?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jul 18 05:11:43 PDT 1998

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> else> add to> this list?> > Meadhbh<<
>
> Nick,
>
> My study of period uses for sorrel indicate that it was generally used
> fresh, to cook with fish, as it had the proper humors, and to make
> substitute verjuice.  Possibly, when the sorrel came up in the spring,
> but the verjuice grapes hadn't formed sufficiently.  I am collecting
> sorrel uses and recipes, if anyone comes across mention of it, please
> post me.  Platina mentions it, so the Epulario does, too, and the
> Menagier suggests the verjuice, I think. Chiquart uses sorrel verjuice
> with fish.

Your theory about the role of sorrel verjuice is pretty interesting.
Remember the quote from Taillevent I posted, in which he says you'll
need green wheat in winter? Green wheat is another of the items from
which verjuice could be made. I wonder if grapes supplied verjuice for
late summer through the beginning of winter, green wheat in winter and
early spring, and sorrel in the spring and early summer...

> Don't forget thyme--over 400 varieties of it.  I just bought some
> creeping red thyme.  Hope it's one of the edible ones.

I would have said thyme also, but for the fact that comparatively few
period recipes call for it. Surprising, but apparently the case. I'm
sure there are some, but there don't seem to be many that mention it
specifically. Offhand I can't recall any. It could have been used in one
of the recipes that call for "all mannere of green herbes", I suppose.

> Also, borage, lovage (I don't know what that is, but it's in some lists)
> hyssop, tansy, rue, juniper berries.

Lovage is relative of celery, I believe, and tastes a lot like it,
although without the fleshy stalks.

> Late period uses some orange and lemon peel, but I haven't yet come
> across any mention of drying and keeping it as we do today.  They dried
> and kept everything else, though.

Candied peel shows up in late period, too.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com