SC - sausage recipe

jeffrey stewart heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 18 17:27:25 PDT 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

>  All of this means that is it possible that the existentence of recipes
> post-1450 C.E. which rarely use noble spices could give us an insight into
> common cookery pre-1450? Intrigueing , if not provable.

Intriguing also, because if you look at Le Menagier de Paris, which
appears to have been intended for the upper middle classes, or perhaps
the somewhat wealthy but not especially noble, you'll find references to
alternate ways of making the same foods either with spices, or
appropriate herbs if you have none of the spices listed.

I'd been meaning to mention that section in connection with the
wonderful posts we've had on hog-slaughtering, butchering, and
charcuterie. I believe the idea of using pepper and cloves, _or_ sage
and marjoram (or whatever it is, I don't recall offhand) if you have
none, is either in the recipe for pork sausage or black puddings.

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com