SC - Spicing of Meats (longish)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jul 18 19:19:28 PDT 1998

Decker, Margaret wrote:

> Gunther said:
> For those of you who are only interested in cooking matters we can carry
> this discussion over to diet and size. I've heard the ruling class was
> physically larger in many instances because they generally ate better than
> those they ruled. Any comments?

A friend of mine grew up during the depression.  People had little nourishing
food and were very small overall in her area.  Her sister married a farmer
(hint-he grew almost everything he needed to survive himself) who fed her well.
WIthin a year, the 17 year-old bride went from 4'10" to 5'9" and towered over
her 5'5" husband (who loved her dearly and boasted his food made her grow).
This may be the case, as the young bride had not grown significantly since she
was 13.  The human body grows (according to a physician of mine) until the last
of the bones (usually the tailbone) hardens.  That means that a child deprived
of the protein, vitamins, and minerals necessary for growth, would not grow
properly.  That same child given proper nutrition during the growing years,
would catch up or even surpass his peers.  But, withhold the nutrients until he
is 25, and he will not suddenly sprout up...he will simply improve the health of
the stature he has.

Brenna