SC - fetal???

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 20:32:59 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/21/98 10:22:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, acrouss at gte.net
writes:

<< If anyone has primary source proof to the contrary, I'd love to see it!

 --AM >>

Actually so would I. It wasn't necessairly my intent to rehash old material.
And I regretfully have to come to the same conclusions you hve reached if I
were to base my opinion on the information (or, rather, lack thereof) found in
traditionally sited primary houseuswifery, estate managment  and cookery
sources.

However, the semi-serious mention of hunting dogs is not so ludicrous when
viewed in the light of the possibility of obtaining information on this
subject (e.g. comsumption of fetal rabbits) outside domestic tomes. For
instance, I would be curious as whether there are any surviving animal
husbandry mauals specificly dealing with raising conys. Or, hunting manuals
containing references to conys. Do travel juornals of noble pilgrims or others
exist which might mentioon this practice?

This is one of "mysteries" of the middle ages. Unforetunately is don't even
know where to begin a search of those documents, let alone know whether those
documents even exist. Given my personal lack of land to conduct experiments in
animal husbandry, it will possibly be several years before I could focus my
attentions on those subjects. I was hoping their might be someone on the list
who either had knowledge in this area or knew of someone who might be able to
point me in the right direction.

The odds that such a quest wold be fruitful may or may not be in my favor but
the knowledge gleaned along the way would be, IMO, inestimable..

Ras (spelled A'aql)