SC - Clarification-long

PhlipinA@aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 20:38:07 PDT 1998

Greetings all,

> > There are many other digestive problems, including ulcers, spastic
> colons, and
> > the like, but they're NOT allergies!
>
> Some people use the word for ANY reaction they have to a food.  It may
> not be an
> allergy, but it is easier to avoid a dish offered by an aquaintance by
> saying that
> you are allergic (rather than "Sorry, hun, but it gives me the runs
> bad!") without
> hurting her feelings or shocking her than detailing your ailment in
> legnth.

I must agree with this.  I have quite a number of foods that give me
digestive problems (bloating, cramps, diarrhea within minutes of
eating).  It is MUCH easier to say "I'm allergic" because the usual
response is "Oh OK".  If I try to explain the truth I often get told "oh
it can't be that bad" or "try some, a little bit wont hurt".  Quite
often they are right, a little bit wont hurt but as some of these
intolerances are cumulative in their effects *I* am the only one who
knows when a little bit is all right.

On the other hand, my mother who is a Coeliac (gluten intolerance - life
threatening) finds it easier to say "I'm full" or "I'm not hungry" when
offered food she can't have, because she is sick of going through the
whole explanation process of what her problem is and what she can and
cannot eat .......

So quite often we know that what we have isn't technically an allergy
but a little white lie makes social intercourse easier.

Regards
Meliora