SC - Re: To be or not to be...an allergy

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Jul 23 15:22:07 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/23/98 4:20:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca writes:

<< On this m'lady I must heartily disagree. A doctor's role is not to just
dole
 out scant information and put the onus on the patient to look further for
 information that may or may nor be erroneous. When I talk to my doctor I
 expect and demand that all my answers are responded to. I don't care what
 other 'tasks" he may have in the offing. They are billong for that time and
 until I am satisfied with the answers, then I will cheerfully let him get on
 with his day. I don't believe that there is an obvious line that is drawn
 for patient/doctor devulging of information.

 Those "quickie" magic words are a waste of time both to the doctor and to
 the patient. I am of the opinion that if a doctor is too busy to take the
 time to explain what this or that is, or what you have, then they are not a
 good physician and is indicative of a person only in it for the buck! >>

 Please don't disagree with me, I'm aware of the problem and am merely
describing it. I don't like health care professionals who do this sort of
thing, and I won't deal with them- you don't WANT to go to a doctors office
with me and watch me grill a physician until I'm sure that he will give me
proper and mutually agreeable treatment!!! ;-) However, as I mentioned, not
only is this approach fairly new to the medical community, but many doctors
have not been trained in this manner. Also, many people who have been assigned
HMOs by their work insurance do not have the option to go to other physicians
who might be either more competent or compatible in these respects.

Phlip