SC - Craspois

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Jul 25 23:33:05 PDT 1998

They drop the plucked birds that are freshly gutted into a large tank of
icewater to firm up the flesh before handling it, head and feets on. I don't
know how many of you have ever seen a commercial chicken battery, but they
live in their biological waste product, which becomes ingrained into the
pores of the skin on the feet and under belly.  The resulting water bath
spreads out the filth evenly, and they only get a cursory rinsing off before
the final packaging. If you take your lovely fresh from the package bird and
look at the pores carefully, you will find small pin feather stubs, blood
clots from recently lost feathers, and little birdy black heads[ to be a bit
euphemistic about it.] I have had dinner guests wondering as they watch me
manipulate the skin under running water and thoroughly washing my chicken-at
least until I show them what I am washing off the poor lil beastie. Even
when we nackered our own birds, I took the same amount of care in preparing
them for cooking.
margali