SC - medieval bacon

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 19:03:43 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/26/98 8:12:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

<< most people in the current midddle ages, unless they are raised eating
these
 would be grossed out at the idea of eating them. I eat lots of goodies that
 others get grossed out at, but these gross me out >>

Curious, indeed! :-)

There are so many different things that I want to try because people have or
do eat them that I don't have access to it bogles my mind to think of it-
Witchity grubs being just one of them. Probably my most bizaare experiment was
the honey bee larva recipe from "Dining With Insects". They were deep fried
and puffed up like corn pops. :-) The taste was melt in your mouth sweet
wonderfulness. Perhaps I'll gift you with a tin of them some day. :-)

The point being that there is such an unexplored world of flavor combinations
and textures that I can't imagine being grossed out over a potential food
item. I may be leary of eating some things but I will try anything at least
once, maybe more if the cooking manner was drastically changed in the
subsequent service. And if I find a thing edible and period so much the
better.

In fact at this past Will's, the garbage which was served with the rabbit
contained the kidneys, livers, hearts and lungs of the rabbits. This was one
of the dishes that I actually got a chance to eat. :-) I recieved no
complaints from the populace and very little was returned to the kitchen. :-)

Ras

Ras