SC - medieval bacon

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jul 26 21:23:38 PDT 1998

kathe1 at juno.com wrote:

> You all might like to know that yesterday, Master Adamantius received a
> Burdened Tiger, an East Kingdom award given to feast-o-crats and
> autocrats for their efforts. He received it for the Crown Tourney feast
> he ran a couple of months ago.
>
> Congrats again, Adamantius.

I'd like to thank all of you who so kindly expressed your good wishes
about this...now I'll tell you what _really_ happened!

I WUZ FRAMED!!!!!

The Order of the Burdened Tyger is in the gift of the Crown of the East
for an event or a feast that the Crown has attended. It may not be given
at the event for which it is "earned", and it is intended for those
responsible for events or feasts either of unusual quality _or_ ones run
under extreme duress. The BT has been described to me as one of those
awards one should never aspire to. I mean, you might get one and then
where would you be? Suffice it to say that you would not have a paddle.
Apparently the rationale in my case was a feast that should, by rights,
have been a total, categorical, screaming, nightmarish disaster, but
through the exercise of an iron will on the part of myself and my crew,
was instead adequate, if not up to our usual standards.

It so happens I had some business of my own to conduct in Court, because
two friends of mine were being inducted into the Order of the Laurel.
One was sitting a vigil at the time, and the other hadn't a clue her
award was happening, but as the lady in question is both a Royal Peer
and a Pelican, we all felt a vigil would be redundant. So, I had these
few little details to settle with the Court herald, and he asked me to
spell my name, and he began to write it down, and looked closer at his
agenda, and said, "Oh. You!". I can only claim I was extremely tired and
thinking of a million other things, but I ought to have been extremely
suspicious at that...

As it happens, I was hauled up before the thrones and Their Majesties
began by telling me, sotto voce, "You think you know why you're up here,
but you don't...". I had only enough time for a brief "Uh ohhhh!!!"
before the herald went into his spiel.

For the real old-timers on this list, and especially HG Cariadoc, I am
proud to say the reason I _thought_ I was up there was to ask a boon
from their Majesties, to the effect that they should induct Countess
Brekke Franksdottir into the Order of the Laurel, in my capacity as her
colleague, sometime mentor (at least if you ask her) and friend.

Back before the kindling of the stars, before the mountains rose out of
the sea, when giants walked the earth (to wit, in A.S. IX), a Crown
Tourney was held in the Barony of Carolingia, in the East. It is said
that it was the intention of the Noble Monarchs of the East, Cariadoc
and Diana, to induct a certain Lady Brekke Franksdottir into the Order
of the Laurel, for the excellence of her cookery, the nobility of her
character, and the great acclaim of the members of the Order. This
decision was called off on account of reign. Her reign. The Lady left
the event not as a member of the Order of the Laurel, but as Crown
Princess of the East. It is said that the Crown of the East, in their
infinite wisdom, felt it would be more fitting to allow a more proper
and decorous time period to elapse before asking the Princess to assume
the heavy burdens of the Laurelate in addition to her responsibilities
as Crown Princess and, ultimately, Queen of the East

So, when I asked the current Heirs of that prior Crown of the East if
they felt 23 years was sufficiently decorous and proper, His Majesty
Timothy asked those assembled for Their Court: was it about time this
Lady entered the Order of the Laurel? Responses were positive, to say
the least.

What was most fun was watching both of the ladies I knew were going to
be called before the Thrones, with each one thinking they were there to
see it happen to the other one...not that I told either of them anything
that wasn't strictly true, of course!

Thanks again to all for the kind words, but I'm much more buzzed about
Julleran's Maunche, and the two new Laurels that were made.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com