SC - Organ Meats

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jul 27 13:45:24 PDT 1998

Thank you for the well-researched reply!

<snip>
>Sites that sold the seeds all listed its poisonous properties, but
>tempered that information with it's supposed medicinal values
>which were never listed.
<snip>

The Merck Index lists the uses of Datura Stramonium L. as: "narcotic,
sedative, antispasmodic.  Intern. like belladonna.  Extern. as ointment in
hemorrhoids, etc.; also as cigarettes in asthma."

I believe that Datura was used as an ordeal poison by native americans.
Nowadays, the seeds of jimsonweed are used by some people to get 'high'.
At least 3 teenagers were poisoned last year, & 1 girl died from eating the
seeds.

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net