SC - Gross food-OOP

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jul 28 19:44:25 PDT 1998

In a message dated 7/28/98 8:23:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
heilveil at students.uiuc.edu writes:

<< It was
 entertaining, though next time I guess I would only smoke them one day.

 Thoughts?  Suggestions?

I am assuming that you did not add extra fat to the pork? IIRC, pork "fillers'
contain a rather large amount of fat. Pork available in the store today is far
leaner than pork during the Middle Ages.Penn State University has some
fascinating information on hog breeding.

It is only within this century with the advent of shortenings and other
cooking fats that the pig has been bred into it's slim and trim self.I think
that Stefan may even have a file or two on pigs in the Floregelium, IIRC.

Lard was a MAJOR cooking fat until quite recently. (A few years back , the US
Department of Agriculture had a fascinating article covering this very
subject.) It was fascinating! The point being that I think if you upped your
fat content and slightly lowered your temperature in the smoker you would have
a far better product than what you describe.

Ras