SC - making liver pudding

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Jul 29 09:08:21 PDT 1998

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> Onion isn't bad with a strong cheese.  I like it with an aged and flavorful
> Emmenthaler.  However,I'm not fond of the liverwurst.
>
> Bear

Had to go look for it, but I was reminded of a passage in Anthony Burgess's
"The Kingdom of the Wicked", concerning the shifts of power in the Year of the
Four Emperors, and the arrival of Vespasian in Rome:

"He [Aulus Vitellius] tried to bury his wineflushed face in his chest, but they
stuck a sword under his chin and made him squint in the sun. The mob cried
fatbellied od bastard. The troops played the game of the little cuts with him
<snip nasty graphic violence snip>
Then they threw his body into the Tiber. He floated some time before he glugged
to the bottom.

When Vespasian entered the Palace he found it fully staffed and a banquet
prepared for himself and his entourage. He looked at the loaded table with
loathing.

'Take this filth away.'

'Filth, Caesar? It was specially prepared--'

'Remember my name. It is Vespasianus Caesar and not Vitellius Pseudocaesar.
Vespasianus Caesar would appreciate an imperial; luncheon of bread, goat's
cheese, and raw onions. And, to drink, some cervisia.'

'Ccccccccervisia, Caesar?'

'Yes. It is not wine. It is a fermented beverage made from malted barley. It
foams. It is bitter and invigorating. Rome needs its salutory acerbity and an
infusion of its salubrious vigor. Things are going to change around here.' "

Bearing in mind, of course, that Vespasian had just come from being governor of
Egypt and all...the rest is just Burgess, who, like cervisia with raw onions,
is an acquired taste. ;  )

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com