SC - sausage recipe

William Seibert a14h at zebra.net
Wed Jul 29 09:23:28 PDT 1998

<From: Mike and Pat Luco <mikel at pdq.net>
Subject: SC - Bunny recipes?

Anyone have a really 'knock down dead' recipe for rabbit?  as long as I don't
have to put
it on a spit and roast outside its ok.  We had fresh bunny in Firenza and I
was thinking
about it today, but have no idea what to do with the furry beasts?  My
supermarket usually
has bunnies in the meat section so... Also is osso bucco especially period?

Henri and Antea>

Here is a rabbit recipe that has been vetted by my family and friends, and by
the writer of a food column in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

SAUPIQUET FOR RABBIT
(Onion and Ginger Wine Sauce for Rabbit)

For making the Saupiquet to be put on the rabbit, depending on the quantity to
be made, take two onions, and slice them finely, and take good pork lard, melt
it, and sautée your onions; to prevent them from burning as they fry, put in a
little bouillon.  Then put in a lot of white wine to the amount of the
saupiquet you want to make for the rabbits.  And take your spices, good
ginger, grains of paradise, a little pepper, which should not predominate, and
saffron to give it color; and add vinegar to taste so carefully that it is
neither too sharp nor too little; and the same with salt.
(Chiquart's On Cookery)

(I have chosen to sauté the onions in butter rather than pork lard, and
substitute allspice for grains of paradise.)

Three or four pounds of rabbit, or chicken thigh quarters, cut into serving
pieces
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/4 C beef stock or bouillon
1 C white wine
1 tsp powdered ginger
1/8 tsp pepper
Pinch of allspice and saffron
1/2 tsp wine vinegar, or to taste
1 T butter for sautéing
Salt to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 450°.

2.  Put rabbit or chicken on a rack in a roasting pan, put it in the oven,
reduce heat to 350°, and bake for one hour or until the meat is cooked
through.

3.  In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and sauté sliced onions until
they are translucent.

4.  Stir in beef stock and spices, reduce heat and simmer for five minutes,
stirring occasionally.

5.  Stir in wine, return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring
occasionally, for fifteen minutes.

6.  Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and salt.

7.  Arrange rabbit or chicken on a serving platter, and pour the sauce over
it.

Yields one and a quarter cups of sauce.
Serves four to six.

Rudd Rayfield