SC - Pennsic!!!

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jul 31 08:24:24 PDT 1998

hey all from Anne-Marie

This business about not using "master" or any of its derivatives (magister,
meistre, maitre, maestro, etc) for fear of being accused of having
aspirations to the peerage is not unique to Ansteorra. Here in An Tir, our
University of Ithra grants instructors the position of "magister" for
teaching a class three times. Its totally non-armiguous. We used to call it
"master" (small M), but got some confusion, so we switched it. Now, as more
people do more persona reserach, and the peerage titles start to deviate
from the standard master/mistress (with some folks going with "companion"
so and so, even), I know of several "magisters" in the peerages. Oh well!

When folks ask me about it, I answer the same as for the questions of "why
cant I wear a white belt?"...here in An Tir, we dont have sumptuary laws,
but sumptuary customs. The reason for this is that certain items and titles
have traditionally been used to designate and mark certain rank. You could
show up to an event with a white belt, spurs and/or a golden chain, but
folks would be confused. Are you a knight? Do you THINK you're a knight?
Are you making some sort of political statement about wanting to BE a
knight?

So use whatever title you want. The worst thing that happens is that
someone thinks you are/want to be/think you're a peer. If you can live with
that, you're set! In most cases, folks will hear the lower class M (ie
maestro as an adjective, vs Maestro as a title/noun) and not sweat it, in
my experience. If not, explain politely that kuchenmeister is how they call
a...what was it you say? "head cook" in your home country. just like how we
can call anyone my lord or my lady, but Lord and Lady are considered
reserved for armiguous people.

at least that's how I see it...
Maitresse Anne-Marie
 cuisinier

- ----------
> From: Phil & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: Re: SC - How about "Cook"?
> Date: Friday, July 31, 1998 5:13 AM

> > French and maybe Hungarian when we could devise a strong term by using
> > "Meister?"  It shouldn't be confused with Master/Mistress and could by
> > tagged with an appropriate "Kuchener" like phrase. . . .<<
> >
> > Jawohl!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Allison, would-be Kuchenmeister, wondering if there's room for two
behind
> > that shield
> >
> > allilyn at juno.com
>
> Bearing in mind that this is purely an intellectual exercise, and I don't
care
> what term people use as long as no one ever calls me a feast-ocrat again,
_why_
> is there no danger of confusion between Meister and Master/Mistress? It's
just
> like saying there's no similarity between Magister and Master. Just a
cognate
> in a different (albeit _very_ similar) Indo-European language.
>
> Now, I don't care about the Master thing either, since being Master /
Mistress
> of a kitchen is a transitory state, at least for SCA kitchens, and is not
in
> any way presumptive of Mastery of Arms, Mastery of the Pelican, Mastery
of the
> Laurel, or Guild Mastership. Some people are just way too touchy.
>
> This is more or less, to my mind, the same situation as occurred about 18
> months (I think) ago, when a family in Scotland was barred from doing
business
> under their own name, because a large fast-food chain had copyrighted it
and
> registered the name as a trademark. Even close variations were disallowed
as
> part of the trademark registration, and the large corporation sued them,
> forcing them to abandon their family name as their business name. The
family
> had owned a small sandwich shop for about eighty years, under the same
name.
> The name: MacDonald.
>
> On the other hand, if people will insist on being jerks, saying something
is
> not the same doesn't mean it isn't, to a jerk, or for that matter, to the
SCA,