SC - Competitions?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 5 01:45:02 PDT 1998

>>3. I can "specialize" to some extent. Right now, I'm on a candy-making
>>kick. It's kinda hard to turn that into a complete feast.
>
>   Course you can.  Advertise it as a medieval candy-fest and I can
>guartunee that there would be a few bookings.  It might not have the
>attendance of Pensic, but it would be - interesting- to see.
>-Sianan

<snip>

 This paste you may also driue with a fine
rowling pin, as smooth & as thin as you please; it lasteth not long, &
therefore it must be eaten within a fewe daies after the making thereof. By
this meanes a banquet may bee presented in the forme of a supper, being a
verie rare and strange deuise.
Delightes for Ladies, by Sir Hugh Plat, 1609.

I'm sure there are others as well, so maybe a "complete" feast _could_ be
made out of candies. But I won't be the one to try it  :-)

- - -Margritte

Thank you Margtitte for these wonderful quotes. However, even in
these period texts they were not talking about doing a complete feast.
These were sugared, illusion items meant to resemble a supper, not be
be eaten as one. The term *banquet* as mentioned here recently meant
a sweet sideboard or a course of sweets not a complete meal.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net