SC - bean vs. wheat

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Sun Jul 5 07:18:34 PDT 1998

In _How They Lived; 55 B.C. - 1486, W.O. Hassall lists an passage that I
was confused about and was wondering if anyone else had heard about:

	Source: Thomas Waleys, Moralitates, c. 1326 -42. Translated from
extract in Beryl Smalley, English Friars and Antiquity in the Early
Fourteenth Century, Blackwell 1960. p.309

	 "I heard that a bishop wanted a fishpond to be on one of his
manors in
England. Many peasants were summoned for the job and the bishop ordered
them to be given daily food wheaten bread so that they should work with
more strength and greater will. Within three or four days the work began
to slacken. The bishop noticed and asked one why he was getting slower
than at the start. He replied that he had no bread and so could not work.
The bishop said he had told his steward to give them wheaten bread daily.
The peasant replied 'That is not bread for the likes of us. I don't call
it bread. Let us have bean bread and then we shall be able to work'. And
so it was, once the wheaten bread was taken away from them.""

So, what exactly is bean bread, and does anyone have a recipe? I would
like to see this, maybe at  above/below the salt feast.
beatrix