SC - Re:amydon vs. rice flour (was Sugar...)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 7 20:22:55 PDT 1998

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> I have to say I prefer cornstarch dissolve in a little water.  As a super
> fine mixture of wheat and malted barley flours, Wondra has some uses in low
> gluten baking, but I wasn't impressed with it in the gravy.
>
> Bear

Adamantius's First Law:

Never, ever use a convenience food product in the way the directions
suggest.

It's the lack of gluten, and the fact that it dissolves easily and is
precooked, that made me think of it as a possible substitute.

Corn starch is an okay thickener, but it doesn't remain stable except in
_really_ thick stuff like pastry cream. Also, it does have a taste of
its own (as does flour, too). I never really thought of it as a gravy
type of thing; maybe there's a cultural prejudice involved. I use
cornstarch almost exclusively for the oyster sauce gravy for beef with
bean curd, etc. I use a roux for most other modern stuff.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com