SC - More Sourdough Woes

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Tue Jul 7 20:47:35 PDT 1998

Help me, O Wise Bread Bakers of the List!

The second batch of sourdough starter (don't ask about the 1st batch --
seriously un-pretty!) saw its bread debut this morning. Following the recipe
in the Better Homes & Garden Cookbook, it created one of the best loaves of
bread I've ever made*.

But...

It wasn't Sourdough! It wasn't sour and it wasn't chewy!

The starter smelled fermented when I decanted the required amount. It acted
lively when I replenished it. Based on my observations, it seems to be alive.

What am I doing wrong?

Renata ::whose sourdough-loving friend with a birthday next week is going to
be soooooo disappointed...::

*..and I'll probably never be able to recreate it, if I ever succeed in
breeding sour starter. :(