SC - bean vs. wheat

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Wed Jul 8 03:09:20 PDT 1998

	Bean bread is a bread made partially with bean flour (pea flour
was used similarly).  Certainly by the 15th century it was regarded as a
food of poverty and/or shortage and was not popular - there was pressure
from workers to recieve white wheaten flour (even wholemeal bread wasn't
popular) - see Christopher Dyer 'Everyday Life in Later Medieval
England'.

	A member of the White Company (Mark Fry who I've copied in on
this) has made it from a recipe by Maggie Black in the Weald and
Downland medeival village cookbook.  I don't have details, and perhaps
Mark would be kind enough to supply them.  I can however comment on the
results.  The bread Mark made was quite white but heavy and dense, which
was not surprising given the lack of gluten in bean flour.  It was quite
salty but worked well with pottage.

	I would suggest that this story is a good example of employers
justifying to themselves why they don't give their workers wheaten bread
which they were requesting.

	Caroline

	Beatrix posted: