SC - C15th Bean/Pea Breads

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 06:55:15 PDT 1998

mfry at FRIENDSPROVIDENT.btinternet.com writes:

<< At least one of these was called 'horse bread' during the C15th and this
 appears to have been an inferior quality bread (if we are to believe the
 complaints of soldiers issued with it as rations) made from a mixture of
 pea/bean flour and wheat flour. I've also experimented with rye/wheat and
 barley/flour mixes as well. There is also refferance to a 3 grain bread -
 wheat, rye & bean/pea - but I've not tried this yet.

 Why it was called 'horse' bread is open to various interpretations but
 there are C15th documented refferances (I'll try & get you the exact source
 details) in hunting manuals to the fact that bread was to be specifically
 baked for both horses and hounds.  >>

Another reason could possibly the fact the Fava beans (which would have
provided the flour, at least in barbaric Europe) are also known as HORSE
BEANS. :-)

A'aql (pronounced Ras)