FW: SC - Yikes! I'm teaching a class!

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 11 21:44:46 PDT 1998

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

> > > Bread? Might be on the hard side, but still...
> > >
> > Definitely too advanced for this crowd (too advanced for me as yet ....)
>
> I remember baking in home ec classes way back when I was 13-14 years
> old. Mix yeast and water (test with back of hand), add flour. Rise one
> or two times. Form into loaves, rise and bake. Still basically go by
> that same recipie even now.

Forget their cooking ability, think of their cooking location! A dorm room
with prhaps a microwave.  With luck, a kitchen shared by 100 other students
who never clean the counters, stove, sink, oven and somebody left something in
the fridge the first week of semester that is smelling really rank!  I think
I'd rather teach college students how to shop well than risk eating anything
from a dorm kitchen!

As for my teens, 9 of 13 are "orphans" their parents are not members, and
their parents may be still suspicious of the whole thing.  I'm aiming for
inexpensive recipes that won't demand much help from the parents, but the
cooking of which demonstrates what a GOOD thing SCA is for their teen.

Thanks Robyn, for the spinach tart recipe, I need to translate it into
"American" teaspoons and such, but other than that it looks usuable. I'll also
incorporate the fruits and pickles list.

Bonne