SC - Re:Post Secondary Mead

geneviamoas at juno.com geneviamoas at juno.com
Sun Jul 12 20:40:31 PDT 1998

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998 00:44:46 -0400 Bonne <oftraquair at hotmail.com> writes:
>Par Leijonhufvud wrote:
>Forget their cooking ability, think of their cooking location! A dorm
>room
>with prhaps a microwave.
>from a dorm kitchen!

This is one any starving student will try at least once. This is
reprinted from Thunderstruck 1984 - The Newsletter of House Rolling
Thunder. I am a member of said household and since I can't seem to get
the Thunderstruck delivered despite Subscribing I can't get permission to
print it so on my head be the blame if anyone objects.

Post Secondary Mead
or how to make mead if you're a starving student

Preliminary:
1) Swipe about 40 / 1 oz. honey packets from the cafeteria:
2) Scavenge recycling bins 'till you find a 1-gal cider jug / 31oz wine
bottle

Brewing:
3) Scoop out all honey from packets into a pot; usually works fastest if
you set up an      assembly line with one person opening and emptying
packets and the second      scraping the sides with a spoon:
4) Add enough water to fill most of the room left in your bottle after
you've accounted     for the honey;
5) Add random fruits / spices - if you think it will be good, try it;
6) Heat the water honey mixture until it boils, then skim off all scum
until the scum     stops looking dark.  Alternatively, just heat it
enough to pasturize it and ignore the     scum;
7) Let mixture cool, then dump in a mess of Prise do mousse "Ole Rocket
Fuel" yeast
     Start it in a bit of sugar water beforehand, if you're a stickler
for details;
8) Add vitamins if you've got'em
9) Put the whole mess in the cider bottle (sterilize it first with Clorox
,if you're picky)
     put an air lock on it , and store it under you're bathroom sink for
a couple of      months.  3 or 4 ought to do it.

Waiting:
10) Try not to kick the mead when you brush your teeth. Brag to your
friends how        much faster yours is bubbling than theirs.

Final:
11) When the mead clears enough that you can see your hand clearly
through the        bottle, siphon the liquid off the dregs into another
cider bottle;
12) If the mead still tastes yeasty, let it sit for a couple more months;
13) When the mead no longer tastes yeasty, or if it does but you no
longer care, add        honey to the finished product until it is
palatable;
14) Drink microwave warmed (on those cold winter nights) from lidded
containers;
15) When you serve it to friends, warn them to "never Inhale the fumes!"

          Variations on the above recipe include measuring the specific
gravity of the must, writing it on a piece of paper and then throwing it
away, or recording exact proportions on each batch for future brews, then
losing them. Mead is an excellent apertif, as well as an excellent carpet
cleaner.

Tricks to making this Mead:
1) When waiting for water to boil, play poker and black jack
2) Don't measure exact amounts.  Use whatever is laying around.
3) While simmering, keep smelling it and sticking fingers into it to see
how good it      tastes;
4) Make your own vaporlock; a simple cut here and there and some water
and and a      little tube and viola!!
5) Only can be made after midnight and before sunrise... or while putting
off studying

Disclaimer - I do not encourage stealing (see honey above)  Gen