SC - Jamaican Jerk (was jerked meat)

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Mon Jul 13 18:27:59 PDT 1998

Greetings....

Sister Mary Endoline said something like:

> BTW - the hot and heavily spiced flavorings were used to cover and kill the
> taste of rancid or spoiled meats in the days, pre-refrigeration.

I have never seen anything to prove that people at 'bad' meat before
refrigeratoin.  During the middle ages their were strict guidelines to be adhered
to when dealing with fresh meat.See Terence Scully's  " The Art of Cooking in the
Middle Ages".  Butchers had to bring their 'meat' in on the hoof and had to
discard any meat after a certain number of days. I don't think the variety of
spices means one eats bad meat. I just think it means they liked a variety of
spices.

Meadhbh