SC - outdoor feast

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adl15.adelphi.edu
Tue Jul 14 06:27:25 PDT 1998

Someone wrote:
> > >  but all the pots I've seen are the cauldron shape, with nicely domed lids
> > >  (tricky to stack coals on) and a round bottom (tricky to control the heat
> > >  on underneath).

Someone else replied:
> > But it can be done!!!
> >
> > Turn the lid upside down for the coals and prop the pot on a base of 3 large
> > rocks!

To which Adamantius replied:
> I believe Anne-Marie's point wasn't about whether it can be done, but
> about the challenge of cooking outdoors as it would have been done in
> period Europe. Since Dutch ovens or equivalent methods, no matter how
> effective, appear not to have been used in period Europe, then there is
> some question as to how using one is better, or more educational about
> period cookery, than using a gas oven.

I don't know about Christian Europe, but here are two references from
the _Manuscrito Anonimo_:

"... Then place thou an earthenware or copper pot full of hot coals over
it until it is browned, and then around the sides until the other side
has browned..."

"... cover it with fire until it is browned, and be careful that it not
burn."

					mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib
                                                 Stephen Bloch
                                               sbloch at adelphi.edu