SC - Spices in cooking [was Jamaican Jerk (was jerked meat)]

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Jul 15 22:43:40 PDT 1998

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Finally, there are the recorded laws against disguising day-old meat as
> fresh, with pretty stiff penalties, especially for those who processed
> it in things like pies to make the freshness, or lack thereof, a more
> burred issue.
>
> I just can't buy the idea that there was so much meat just lying around
> going off.

One can look at it from another perspective as well. Say you butcher a
lamb. Last time I bought a whole lamb it ran on the order of 16 kg (35
lb), as butchered fot the consumer (i.e. some boones still in the meat).
If hung in a cool cellar it will last several days, even in the summer
(far longer in the winter, at least in the north). A household with
perhaps 10-15 members (not unreasonable on a farmstead, or in town)
should be able to eat all of this before it goes bad, even if none of it
gets smoked, prickled or salted. Earth-cellars, springhouses and such
were there to keep things cool, so they'd last longer.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei(at)algonet.se
http://www.algonet.se/~parlei
Heisenberg slept here, or somewhere else nearby.