SC - Kvass.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jul 16 05:03:36 PDT 1998

Varju at aol.com wrote:

> A little bit of trivia. . .when I was taking Russian in college my professor
> said that when he was in Russia Kvass was made from rye bread, malt and yeast
> and mint and was often used as a hangover remedy. . .
>
> Noemi

I'd often heard of kvass being made from rye bread, but never actually
seen a recipe in English except the one I posted. I have seen one other,
apparently in Russian, but, oddly enough, in the Roman alphabet. Polish
perhaps?

I'd just assumed that the idea it was made from bread was a distorted
description of the process of forming the mash into loaves and putting
it in a warm oven.

However, a friend of mine, a former NCO in the USCG, spoke to the cook
on board a Russian frieighter, and he was told that making it from bread
was sort of the cheater's way to do it, but actually much more common.
They were actually drinking kvass on board the ship at the time, with
their lunch...

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com