SC - Kvass.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 17 05:08:12 PDT 1998

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> > > In chapter 65: Ordinary kvass. To brew ordinary kvass, Take four parts
> > > honey and strain it until it is clear. Put it in a jar and ferment it
> > > using an ordinary soft loaf, without additional yeast. When it is done,
> > > pour it into a cask.
> >
> > Hmmm. I see the formula has changed, even allowing for local variatons.
> > I'm curious as to what role the bread plays in this preparation. There
> > seems to be nothing to convert the bread's starches to sugars, and since
> > it's baked, I doubt yeast comes from it.
> >
> Using bread in a beer is common.  The Sumerians were doing it 5000+ years
> ago.  It sounds like they are using the wild yeast which has settled on the
> bread after baking (same reason flour and water in a sealed container will
> ferment), but that is an uncertain process.

I know the Egyptians used a bread specifically made for brewing, rather
than simply using bread (which makes it somewhat similar to the later
kvass recipe). I guess what I was wondering was what bread has, in its
capacity to collect airborne wild yeasts, that beer or kvass doesn't
have. In other words, what is the advantage of doing it that way?

Adamantius

- --
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com